Thursday, May 9, 2013

1st Blog Response Assignment

          After reading the first half of "Fluorescence" I am only left in a confused state. I have tried to comprehend the meaning of each of the poems, but as I moved on from poem to poem Jennifer Dick's words only formed jumbled paragraphs of random words in my mind. I am in no way assaulting  Jennifer Dick's works. Nor am I saying they don't mean anything. They just have no meaning to me.
           On the back of the book there are many authors praising the work of Fluorescence. Saying things such as "readers, in the end will be left with the timely and ethical understanding that words are 'abbreviations for what is in their hands." (Srikanth Reddy) and "Fluorescence is moving. Both emotionally engaging and in motion to match the realities of our moment, Jennifer Dick's poems are accountable to the truths of a violent kaleidoscope world" (Laura Mullen). But as I read through Fluorescence I was not left with an ethical understanding or emotionally engaged.
          Dick's writing style confuses me to no end. She often spaces out the words in her poems, which to me makes them very difficult to read and makes it hard to follow her train of thought. For example her poems Trace3 and sighted are
 written
     in a way                             that forms
                                          bazar                  broken lines

                                                                                                                                                           of words
              that makes                                     me                                               wish                              the          poem                 would                  just             end
         so I                        could                  move on                    to              the               next          one.


I got so lost in the format of the poems I could gain no meaning from it. Another poem that confused me was in the chapter "What Holds The Body 1999-2000".

"We are unmaking the explosion. Everything still.
It feels like baking, everyone huddled in the blue kitchen. The two
violinists are wide-eyed. I can't see myself. There are no more
mirrors and the light is                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                      orange"

What does this poem mean? Why is "Orange" wrote on a separate page? I have no idea. Maybe her and her friends are baking cookies in a blue kitchen as two violinist play music for them, and she has a crush on one of them so she wants to put on makeup but there are no mirrors, and as she looks for one she is blinded by the sunlight. Maybe she is a terrorist taking apart a bomb in a blue kitchen as they listen to classical music, and they want to add glass to the bomb but there are no mirrors then the bomb accidently explodes. To be honest I don't have the slightest clue to the deeper meaning of the poem.
          I have tried to understand the deeper meanings of these poems but my mind will not allow me to. I see the words for the words true meaning. Orange is Orange, baking is baking. I am not very creative and the only papers I have wrote in the past year have been research papers for my science classes. I can understand the laws of physics but these poems have left me baffled.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, keep going, instead of "deeper meaning" try just thinking about the different details and images she presents and see what you can do with them. Nice work, don't stop now.

    ReplyDelete